Ceramic Vase by William Knutzen


Description

Cermic vase by William Knutzen, early 1950s made at his studio. Tin glazed with ribbed surface decoration, incised with artists signature underneath. ———— In 1934, as a student at the National College of Art and Design, Knutzen established his own ceramics workshop in Oslo. In 1937 he went into partnership with Andreas Thiele Schneider. They established Schneider & Knutzen, where Knutzen was the artistic impetus. The same year, Knutzen was part of the Norwegian pavilion at the World Exhibition in Paris. From around 1940 he worked frequently with chamotte pottery with coarse, elegantly etched pattern and bold colours on cream white tin glaze. In the period 1946-1949 Knutzen was artistic director of the ceramics department at Graveren. Whilst establishing his new workshop in 1949 he became artistic director of the Arnold Wiigs Fabrikker in Halden. Knutzen’s works from the early 1950’s are characterised by an experimental, abstract form in partially glazed red clay. His later production was marked by a stronger narrative character, with obvious references to older ceramics.
 

Design history

Designer: William Knutzen
Year: 1950s
Maker: Own studio


Spesifications

Category: Norwegian Icons
Material: Stone
Colors: Black White Burnt Umber
Measurements: - x - x - None (D x W x H)
Weight:
Quantity: 1
Style: Mid century modern Norwegian modern 1950
8000.00 NOK